In Literacy we follow Lucy Calkins 'Readers and Writers Workshop', while students work on their spelling and Grammar during Word Study lessons. Social Studies strands are incorporated into the Readers and Writers Workshop lessons.
Students are required to practice their reading on daily basis at home. Each evening your child should read their library book or a class reader.
You can find more information about Readers and Writers Workshop here.
- Introduce the writing center (supplies, how we use supplies)
- Introduce what a writer looks like (sitting quietly, thinking, and writing)
- Visualize a picture before drawing it and draw pictures that tell about a favorite moment
- Telling Stories on Illustrations
- Using fiction stories to inspire creative writing
- Think of an idea and share it (turn and talk)
- Have students discuss their writing